My Ex Has Visitation, But I Want To Move To Another State

My ex-spouse exercises visitation with my kids, but I want to move with them to another state. Can I go?

By Laura Lauth
September 25, 2015


You may move to another state, but you must either have the consent of your ex-spouse or the permission of the court before you may move your children to another state. In Indiana, any parent that has or is seeking custody or parenting time must give at least 90 days’ notice of his or her intent to relocate to any other parent or grandparent who exercises parenting time with the children. Such notice is required for any move, whether it is to a new state or to a new neighborhood in the same town. The non-relocating parent can object to the relocation, in which case the court will determine if the parent wishing to relocate has stated a good faith reason for the location and if the relocation is in the children’s best interests.

Broyles Kight & Ricafort, P.C. is a family law firm in Indianapolis, IN. Find out more by viewing their firm profile here.

Back To Top

September 25, 2015
Categories:  Children and Divorce|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.