What happens if one parent wants to move away and take the children?

By Laura M. Urbik Kern
September 20, 2016

First of all, if a parent wants to move away, we consider that to be a substantial change in circumstances, which allows us to file a petition for relocation – that's what it's called. Either parent can file that petition. They have to give notice at least 60 days before. They have to have all kinds of things in the notice about what they're doing, why they're doing it, and everything else. That can be found in the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act Section 609.2. There are 11 different factors, and if a parent moves more than 25 miles away, they have to go through this process.

Another parent can object. The other parent can say, “You know what, I don’t want you to move and here's the reason why, or the parties could sit down and work out a new parenting plan based on the new situation of where everyone's going to live. The judge is also going to look at the best interest factors to see whether or not it is in the child's best interest to relocate.

With 30 years of experience in family law, Laura M. Urbik Kern is a certified mediator and family lawyer who concentrates on dissolution, family and juvenile law, child support, and complex domestic relations cases. To learn more about Laura, visit her firm's online profile or her website laurakern.com.

Back To Top

September 20, 2016
Categories:  Children and Divorce|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.