Can you receive maintenance during the case?

By Candace Meyers
April 17, 2017
Can you receive maintenance during the case?

Yes, and that is what we call “temporary maintenance.” For example, if a case begins and the party who is working stops depositing income into a joint bank account, then the party who is seeking maintenance may not have access to the income. He or she would go into court and ask the judge to award temporary maintenance. On the flip side, if a spouse earns a significant income and the spouse who is seeking, in the other spouse's opinion, is not spending it appropriately, then they may not give them free access to the expensive income and getting a temporary award of maintenance would kind of curtail the spending and preserve the marital estate.

Candace Meyers is a family lawyer at Boyle Feinberg, P.C. in Illinois. To learn more about the firm, visit Visit their firm profile here.

Back To Top

April 17, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.