Can I force my spouse to get life insurance because he pays child support?

My spouse is to pay me spousal and child support and I’m wondering if I can force him to get life insurance or disability insurance just in case something happens to him?

By Kathryn Freed-Collier
October 16, 2013

Kathryn Freed-Collier, a family lawyer in Frederick, answers:

You cannot force your spouse to get life insurance; however, it can be part of a Marital Separation Agreement, as part of the terms of settlement. The beauty of an agreement is that many issues that cannot be solved in formal court hearings can be solved by the people, themselves. Life insurance is a good example of why it is always better to settle than to litigate. It is common to include life insurance, as part of the settlement. This can include language that the life insurance is to benefit your child, or yourself, or both.

An example of this is:

Each parent will maintain life insurance for no less than $250,000.00 for the benefit of the minor child, until at least the year 2014.

Back To Top

October 16, 2013

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.