A DIY online divorce, also known as a “do-it-yourself “divorce, is an alternative to traditional litigation. This method involves filing for divorce online and does not require a divorce lawyer. This process could potentially save thousands of dollars on legal fees.
Is a DIY Online Divorce for You?
DIY divorce websites offer many online options that save divorcing spouses money, time, and stress involved with an uncontested divorce.
How Does DIY Online Divorce Work?
DIY online divorce is a fairly simple process. Instead of hiring a divorce attorney and going through the entire legal process, divorcing spouses can prepare their own divorce papers and submit them online – without having to hire a divorce lawyer to represent them.
For the divorce to be valid, the divorcing couple must submit the correct paperwork required by the state. Both spouses must agree to the terms.
It is critical that each spouse submits the proper forms and documentation during the DIY online divorce in order for it to be considered valid. If they do not submit the correct divorce papers or fill the forms correctly, they may be required to start the process over again.
What Are the Benefits of a DIY Online Divorce?
DIY online divorce has all sorts of benefits. Not only does a do-it-yourself divorce save couples time and money, but it also helps prevent the stress so often associated with long, drawn-out battles in court.
Divorce can be tumultuous. When there is little to no goodwill left between divorcing spouses, it can become an expensive, flat-out war in court. Filing for divorce online saves spouses from the stress and legal fees that come with courtroom drama. It’s a great option for those who want to end their marriage without the financial burden of hiring a divorce lawyer, going through a lengthy legal process, and becoming completely polarized by a bitter court battle.
How Do You Get a DIY Online Divorce?
There are many different options that make DIY online divorce a quick and simple process for couples who are willing and able to cooperate long enough to get an uncontested divorce.
Many of these online divorce options are user-friendly and allow you to complete divorce forms in a fraction of the time and cost it would take for the traditional divorce process. Many of these websites are customized for your personal needs: all you have to do is fill out a questionnaire, provide the necessary information, fill out the required forms, prepare a divorce agreement, file using the filing instructions, and submit.
There are some very important things couples should keep in mind when deciding whether a do-it-yourself divorce is the best option for them. Since neither lawyers nor mediators are involved in the DIY online divorce process, the spouses must be able to have open and honest conversations with each other about issues related to property division, alimony, child custody, child support, and more.
DIY online divorce could be right for you if:
- You and your spouse are amicable and able to communicate about divorce-related issues
- Your divorce is uncontested
- You can speak to your spouse through phone, email, or other correspondence
- You can work closely with your ex during the divorce process
- You can agree on divorce-related issues with your ex
- You have well-organized, easy-to-access documentation
Keep in mind that although a DIY online divorce avoids the use of divorce attorneys, if issues arise during the divorce that require legal advice, you may need to consult with a divorce lawyer.
It is always a good idea to have a lawyer review your documents before you submit them – especially if you feel unsure about certain aspects of your agreement.
Where Can You File for a DIY Online Divorce?
There are many reputable websites where you can file for a do-it-yourself divorce.
When applying for an online divorce, you must first determine your eligibility. If you’re eligible, you will then complete a short online divorce questionnaire, print the completed forms, and follow the instructions for filing.
Here are two well-established DYI divorce websites you can check out:
- LegalZoom.com understands that legal costs can get expensive and complicated – which is why they make the DIY online divorce process simple. Their service includes offering help and access to legal advice from attorneys in your state via phone or email. They provide a fast and easy process with up-to-date forms that make your divorce as simple as possible. If you’re looking for an inexpensive, low-stress divorce, LegalZoom might be right for you.
- CompleteCase.com also offers affordable do-it-yourself divorce to reduce the time, stress, and costs associated with the typical divorce process. CompleteCase has designed its services to avoid a long, complicated divorce. Their user-friendly online tools can help you go through the divorce process as simply and cost-effectively as possible.