Your divorce settlement will change your life forever – maybe only a little, maybe dramatically – so it makes sense to invest the time, effort, and money to choose the best lawyer for your unique circumstances. You should try to interview two or three family law lawyers before deciding which one will do the best job for you. The divorce lawyer you select should be great at his/her job – and possess morals, outlook on life, and personality that are compatible with your own. To help you hire a divorce lawyer that’s right for you, here are 15 questions you should ask during the initial interview with your prospective divorce lawyer.
Diana Shepherd, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® and Editorial Director of Divorce Magazine
15 Questions to Ask Before You Hire a Divorce Lawyer
- Do you practice family law exclusively? If not, what percentage of your practice is family law?
- How long have you been practicing?
- What is your retainer to officially hire a lawyer? Is this fee refundable?
- What is your hourly rate and billing terms?
- Approximately how much will my divorce cost?
- Have you ever handled a case like mine?
- What do you think the outcome will be?
- If your spouse has retained a divorce lawyer, ask whether your prospective lawyer knows them.
- What percentage of your cases go to trial?
- Are you willing and able to go to court if this case can’t be settled any other way?
- How long will this process take?
- What are my rights, and what are my obligations during my divorce?
- At a full-service law firm, ask who will be handling the case.
- Does your firm offer any alternatives to litigation?
- What happens now?
We hope these questions help you to hire a divorce lawyer that’s suited for you. For more information, refer to our article: Choosing a Divorce Lawyer.