Collaborative law is a relatively new facet of alternative dispute resolution in family law that provides spouses opportunities to make real choices when solving legal issues. It offers are a number of advantages over traditional divorce:
- It is very structured and efficient, so it is a better use of your time and financial resources
- It is very private compared to court
- Ground rules of respectful treatment are agreed to beforehand
- It takes place in an office, not a courtroom
- Nothing happens that you do not agree to
You, your spouse, and your respective collaborative divorce attorneys work closely to reach an agreement that reflects your needs. There is full disclosure between both parties and the attorneys, as everyone involved is fully invested in reaching a mutual agreement outside of court. The collaborative law method is effective, private, and provides you with a voice to communicate your needs without the involvement of a judge. The entire process is owned by you and your spouse from beginning to end. In an atmosphere of honest, open communication, a mutual agreement tailored to your needs can be reached.
Family-law attorney Stephen C. Brewer will help you through the process of divorce.