Working with a financial advisor may help ensure you are making fully informed financial decisions and may also save you money and time during the divorce process. You should think of your divorce as a financial transaction in which everything you own jointly and everything you owe jointly are to be divided between you and your spouse. It is the unwinding of both an emotional and financial partnership.
Financial advisors can help:
- Create a realistic budget as you move through the divorce process and beyond.
- Educate you on the financial characteristics of your assets such as tax implications.
- Determine a long term financial plan for your life as a single adult.
Divorce lawyers can help:
- Educate you on the legal process of divorce.
- File legal documents with the court such as summons and complaints.
- Represent you in the divorce proceedings and in a court of law.
Kirk C. Stange of Stange Law Firm, PC is a family law attorney in St. Louis, Missouri.