Can I Call My Spouse’s Lawyer If Mine Is Out Of Town?

I need to discuss certain aspects of my case. Can I call my spouse’s lawyer if mine is out of town?

By Peter Paras
February 27, 2015

Peter Paras, a family lawyer in Red Bank, answers:

No. The rules of professional conduct do not permit lawyers to speak with adverse parties who are represented by counsel. Lawyers can, however, speak with adverse parties who are representing themselves. Therefore, you should wait until your lawyer returns, discuss your concerns with him/her, and ask him/her to contact your spouse’s attorney.

Peter Paras is a New Jersey divorce lawyer and name partner in the family law firm of Paras, Apy & Reiss, P.C. in Red Bank, NJ. He is also a past member of Divorce Magazine's Advisory Board.

Back To Top

February 27, 2015
Categories:  Family Lawyers|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.