Diana Shepherd, the Editorial Director and Co-Founder of Divorce Magazine, appeared on the Divorce View show recently with co-hosts Joanie Winberg and Rosalind Sedacca to discuss how to become a good stepmother.
Here are some of the helpful tips she offered to support the viewers:
- When one or both spouses have children from a previous marriage, the failure rate for second marriages is higher than for first marriages
- The secret sauce to making a blended family work is love, compassion, and patience.
- You have to start with love – not looking for evidence that your spouse’s kids are worthy of your love.
- Anyone who is marrying a divorced man or woman with children needs to really KNOW that they are marrying a family. This is the core of what will make a remarriage successful.
- Step-parenting is the hardest job you’ll ever love: It’s complicated and rewarding at the same time. You have to work at it religiously at first: a good relationship with your step kids and your spouse’s ex will not just happen.
- Kill your spouse’s ex with kindness – especially when you don’t feel like it.
- Fake it until you make it: acting like you love the kids (and the ex, if possible) will cause a positive shift in your relationship, which will end up with you really loving them.