It is important to understand what children qualify as minor children and therefore have a right to support. Minor children include:
- Unborn children
- A duty of support can be assessed against a father while the mother is still pregnant.
- Children conceived by artificial insemination
- If the mother was inseminated by another man with her husband’s consent, then the child is treated as her husband’s natural child and the donor is not obligated to pay support.
- Adopted children & step-children
- Parents that adopt children and/or step-children during the marriage are obligated to support their adopted children, even if they get a divorce just a few months after the adoption becomes final.