Divorce Professionals | Divorce Articles | Divorce FAQs | Online Forum | Divorce Resources | Advertise

Divorce Polls  |  Blogs  |  Magazine Subscription  |  Free eNewsletter  |  Web Links  |  Contact
Find a Professional
Find a divorce lawyer, mediator, accountant, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, therapist and more...
To advertise with us call our toll free number 866-803-6667 x 124 or Click Here


This Forum will be discontinued as of June 18, 2014.

Please join our new social network www.MarriageAndSeparation.com where people will support and inspire one another to thrive.

Divorce Magazine
Free Download of
Divorce Magazine
Name: JMV  
Title: What states/Countries do not recognise Alimony and will not
What States in the USA and what countries do not recognise alimony and will not extradite you back to the state you got your divorce in? Also Is Costa Rica a country that will extradite you for non payment of Alimony? Also heard that they (Courts) do not come after you for non payment of alimony ..just non payment of Child support ..which for me the children are emancipated now! My divorce was in the state of Massachusetts!


You must Login / Register to post a reply.


Name: cshyne New Member
I want to know this too.Any replies?
Name: elvis108 New Member
We need help! He has to pay $36k a year to his ex in Ontario. He's in the process of moving to the states permanently but doesn't yet have his green card or citizenship. Once he has his green card our plan is to move to a state within the U.S. that would not extradite back to Canada for non payment of spousal support but don't know where to go. There are no minor children. She has a degree and flat out refuses to work. We have no idea where to go or how to begin to find an answer.
Name: michelle12 New Member
I was crushed when my lover of three years left to be with another woman. I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help. And i saw a testimony of a spell caster who help a girl called Natasha and i said let me give it a try so i contact him for help and he cast a love spell for me which i use in getting my love back and now i am a happy woman. For what you have done for me,i will not stop to share your goodness to people out there for the good work you are doing. I hope God blesses you as much as you have help me to get my Love back, visit him on ekakaspelltemple@yahoo.com he is the only answer to your problems.
Name: yogajane New Member
I am not divorced or planning to get one, but I am the primary bread winner. Whag happens when one spouse has a good job, but also has hundreds of thousands in school loans? How can it ever be fair for someone who has a really strong work ethic and is willing to work 40+ hours a week, have to pay someone who isnt willing to work? I know so many women who consider getting married to a rich man their job and then when its over they collect tons of money, and do nothing all day and go on to support some stupid boyfriend with the money! That would make me insane!!! but I just want to say the idea of paying alimony to someone for life is ridiculous and thank god some states have a clause that alimony is only half the length of the marriage. Some of these women hang out in the marriage as if they are waitinc for their pension to kick in! I wanted a pre-nup but couldn't afford one. Does always keeping your money in your own personal account and having no joint accounts protect you in any way? We both kept our last names as well. Like I said, we have no plans to break up, but I am interested in the rules of having school loans and always having separate bank accounts. Also, how the hell is it fair if someone loses their job that they still have to pay alimony and scramble for a new job, yet the spouse doesnt? I think the only fair type of alimony for any man or woman to receive would be that in the form of paymenfs for an education or a degree or certificate of some kind. If you are dumb and/or have no motivation to work hard, that was the case before the marriage and that should not be the other parties responsibility to take care of you! Kids yes and an education if one person sacraficed getting an education for the other person to get one.
Name: jas New Member
Iran and North Korea would not extradite you for non-payment of alimony to the United Sates. However, you could be placed into protective custody because you are US Citizen.
Name: lhaque New Member
I would also like to share a link for you so that to know that a well funded and willing spouse can go to distance to seize assets from other party.
consulted with several lawyers here locally and it looks like all these so called off-shore safe heavens are all relative and there is no absolute asset protection. All they do is to put a fiscal deterence for a spouse pursuing assets, but if she/he has the means, they can get to them.
Name: lhaque New Member
I have looked for the past 5 months on and off for the same asnwer. It's not only the alimony but the equalization payments that hurt you most. In my case, I was/am kind of trapped in a apparent long well thought out plan to wipe me out. Thing is that most local lawyers sympathize with the non-earner and find it despicable to even entertain cutting off your partner as they have bought the prevailing western mentality of equal entitlement no matter what cause the divorce (cheating, deception, etc) and who made most efforts and earned all the money.. That famous international Lawyer (Mr. Jeremy Moorley) was lecturing me why it is wrong to even think about avoiding spousal support and equalization payments and would not advice me at all. I am based in Canada and have been thinking hard about relocating to a country where there are no legal obligations to tranfer property or to pay alimony for a long time. I think UAE (Dubai) is possible candidate, but you (guy) are resposible for the kids until they are of certian age and also there is some spousal cupport for a limited time (6 months or so or half-year salary). Everyone gets to keep property that was in their name or earn through their monies. Dubai is farly westernized as opposed to other middle eaetern conuntries, but to live there, you need to either find a job, or buy a business or do some real state investments there. There is no permanant residence or citizenship options though. Also they will not impose foreign spousal support orders as far as I know as this is contrary to their local law. Hope that helps.

I am also impressed with the reply of Prepmand and his research. I would like to contact him if possible as I feel there should be a forum for us men connned and suppresed by a presumtious system here in the west..
Name: Matrix New Member

I have the same plan. In my case I intend to live in Turkey.Fist I am going to try
other ways.But, if I need to pay more money for that con artist I am going to leave
this unfair country forever. I already sold everything that I had, just in case.
My wish is that creature die !
Name: Prepmand New Member
All 50 states and territories of the US are going to recognize Alimony and Child Support judgments under the legal theory of Comity.
Name: Prepmand New Member
"What countries would not support an order for alimony?"

A country has no power to enforce a foreign judgement unless provided by treaty. But the particulars of what can or cannot be collected really depends on the country. I haven't seen a comprehensive list of countries that would not enforce either an Alimony or Child support judgment. It would take some significant research to provide such a list. The better approach is to pick your getaway countries, if the need arises, and know what treaties are in place before moving your assets there.

I've consulted with international divorce attorney Jeremy Morey on more than one occasion and find his website to provide some useful information. From what I could glean there, I can say that, for example, Portugal has a treaty with the United States that would facilitate collection of Alimony and Child support in that country--in theory, that is.

But consider this. Even if you moved to Portugal, but had your liquid assets in Hong Kong, what could Portugal be able to do to enforce collection of anything? They can't march a envoy to Hong Kong to freeze your accounts or collect a debt without a judgement domesticated in Hong Kong. Does Hong Kong have such a treaty with the US? Would they get involved in an Alimony matter? Doubt it.

So practically speaking what can a foreign country real do to you? I'd find it hard to believe a foreign country would agree to arrest someone over a civil collection matter. But, better check to be sure.

Again, this is all just bantering about of theory. The practicality is much more burdensome, unless you're a world traveler with the resources and desire to stay on the move.

The biggest problem for most Americans is that their net worth is tied up in real estate, which will be governed by the jurisdiction in which the real property is located. As an asset protection kinda guy, I suggest you put debt on any equity so that there's nothing to collect on. Get professional help to do that properly.
Name: Prepmand New Member
Oh. My bad. without dates on these posts I didn't realize I had already responded to Just and others to answer the question.
Name: Prepmand New Member

As a refresher, read my lengthy response from a non-lawyer, but one who has explored these issues in depth from various angles for years.

There is NO DEFINITIVE ANSWER to whether or not Costa Rica would extradite for either failure to pay child support or Alimony.

Just about every civilized nation of any size has an extradition treaty with the USA. Costa Rica is one of those countries. Just because a country has an extradition treaty doesn't mean that country will extradite. There are numerous legal, political and pragmatic considerations to examine before attempting an answer.

You see, in many less lawyer infested countries, some things just aren't a big deal, and some things that can get you arrested here in the US (i.e. tax evasion) are not criminal offenses in other countries.

Extradition is a big deal involving embassies, consulates, bureaucratic red-tape, law enforcement, etc. A little 'ol country like Costa Rica will extradite under the right circumstances for a real crime, such as murder or intl. drug trafficing, with sufficient evidence pleaded before a Costa Rican judiciary.

But, Alimony? Child Support? These are CIVIL matters in the US, as they would be in CR. They are not going to extradite an individual with all the hassle and expense because some local-yocal county judge issues a bench warrant for contempt. CR, and I would venture even most big, US friendly nations, are not going to get involved in a local Civil matter.

In addition to extradition treaties, the US has what is referred to as Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties (MLAT's) with various nations that facilitate foreign countries providing assistance in investigating *crimes* committed by US persons. Guess what? Costa Rica does not have an MLAT in place with the US at this time. There are other treaties regarding Mutual Assistance in a very limited scope, but no boilerplate MLAT in place. And keep in mind, these treaties are for CRIMINAL, NOT CIVIL matters. And even in criminal matters, the country that is being requested to assist generally has to consider the alleged crime a criminal offense under that contries laws. So, for example, if a US citizen were to flee to a country where tax evasion is a civil, not a criminal matter, then the US wouldn't, in theory, have much success getting any cooperation of the foreign nation in investigating, locating, or extraditing that US person. However, if it were a big-name celebrity (e.g. Wesley Snipes), that might be a political football for the foreign country, whereby they may cooperate.

If I were a bettin man and had to give a "definitive" answer, I'd say your safe just about anywhere outside the US, with the exception of Canada and possibly Mexico--add the UK as well. But, who wants to leave for ever, fearing to return because you might get arrested at Immigration?
Name: Another victim New Member
I supported my lazy wife for 12 years. I paid all her bills and my reward is that she wants everything. She is too lazy to work and wants me to buy her a house fully paid. I have one child and have no problem paying child support, but not alimony. What countries would not support an order for alimony?
Name: Prepmand New Member
WARNING -- This is not from an attorney. Just a well-read leagl wonk working on his own divorce planning for years.

All states and territories in the US have something called *comity*, loosely meaning that each state respects each other's states laws and court judgements. So, getting divorced anywhere in the US will not allow one to escape a court-ordered spousal support judgement in any other state. Regardless of the morality of obligating one spouse to pay another spouse an arbitrary amount of money for an often open ended term, under threat of contempt and imprisonment, is of no matter. I think the system is horribly unjust, and we do, in essence have debtor prisons in America. In fact, judges have almost unbridled power to imprison citizens without due process, by simply citing contempt as the crime.

This system allows a perpetual cycle of judicial reviews, court modified orders, and attorney's to be involved for as "long as the two shall live" in some circumstances.

the only solution to this morass is to literally leave the country should an ex-spouse, court, or attorney decide to pursue you for money. The reason you can't reliably move to another state, besides the legal principal of comity, is that the states increasingly cooperate with each other, as well as the Federal Government (e.g. IRS) to track you, your income and assets so as to be able to seize them. And, with the advent of networked computer databases, the job is becoming increasingly simple. Essentially, there are no more firewalls across state lines to protect yourself and your money from those who wish to take it by due-process (translated: by force).

Many books have been written about asset protection and it's role in divorce actions. Even experts disagree on what can be done to shield income and assets from US court orders. The problem is that even if you utilize legal offshore asset protection to shield yourself from egregious support judgements, unless you've decided to move your corpus -- your body -- offshore as well, you could always be held in contempt of court and have a bench warrant issues for your arrest. If and when another state would find out or even act on that warrant is an a big question. A simple traffic stop and running of your driver's license may show a warrant for your arrest from another state. Again, a contempt warrant may or may not show up depending on the states involved. And again, the state where you're accosted may not arrest you and extradite you back for a contempt order. You'd really have to check with attorneys familiar with the procedure in both states involved to have a clear idea what's involved.

Or course, if you did leave the country in the event of a contempt charge, you may have to decide if the idea of never returning to the US is even a viable option. Your life, family, stuff, and employment are usually based here. Very few people can just pick up and move to a foreign country with no intention of returning.

Then again, there are other countries friendly to the US that may be more likely to allow a US judgement to be domesticated, and therefore enforceable in that country. I would stay clear of Canada, for instance, and maybe even Mexico if you plan on residing and working in a more populated metro area. You just never know how far a ex-spouse, her attorney and the courts will go to show you who's boss.

Other countries, especially those with weaker diplomatic relationships with the US are probably safe. But, are those places even worth living. Europe is a toss up, depending on the country. The Caribbean is a bit hit or miss -- I'd avoid Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, BVI, and maybe even the British Commonwealth countries, where they're more likely to have treaties in place with the US to make pursuing you easier.
Name: JUSTIN New Member
have you ever seen or recieved a correct answer about costa rica ?

are you safe there from extradition ? for alimony ?? chils supoort is something else
Name: winejug New Member
The question in Costa Rica is we were married only 4 years and I surley don't believe that the right for her to draw money from my pension where she had no envolvement with when I worked hard for 35 years to receive. Maybe a short time to get her feet back on the ground. She has more education than me and speaks very good english and get a job anywhere in this country.
Name: winejug New Member
I have the same problem and can't get a direct answer from my attorney!!! He is Costarican and maybe doesn't know the answer.if you find out let me know. wavetherapymassage@gmail.com Also how can the court serve papers on my pension money made in the USA. I don't work here in CR. If you don't pay the alimony can CR block your excit from CR. No kids envolved. Best Wishes,Wayne
Name: SCShafted New Member
As another forced to pay alimony to an ex who for two years lived with a man who was also collecting alimony from his ex wife, I feel raped! This is just too antiquated and wrong.
Name: div2wice New Member
My husband works with Document do it yourself service (they deal with divorces in all 50 states) and he says he does not know of any states that do not recognize alimony from other states. If it is court ordered, and you have a copy of those papers, all states should recognize it, from what we understand.
As far as Costa Rica, that is something you'll have to contact the country about specifically.
No, courts will come after you for non payment of alimony again, as long as you have papers stating that he owes you alimony. You need to contact your local court and report him for non payment of court ordered alimony.
Name: barelymakinit New Member
I have the same questions as JMV
Name: otis New Member
I'm all in favor of child support, but I'll commit suicide before I pay alimony. Let the parasite get a job and support herself.
Name: marshall New Member
JMV, we are leaving for CR in a few weeks, bugginh out. we'll let you know
Name: marshall New Member
My spouse is ordered to pay 12k...per month....for life.....dosent get much worse than that. The marriage only lasted 12 years, she has a masters degree, and wont work....if the alimony and child support are unallocated, then how do you know what is child support and what is alimony?
Name: DandDJustDoingIt
I would like to respond to madalex comment that trying to avoid paying alimony is despicable....although I respect everyone's opinion....what I find despicable is forcing one citizen to labor to pay another citizen against their will. Unless a crime has been committed and monetary restitutuion is necessary, forced servtitutde is despicable.

This is my definition of slavery and forced alimony.

Name: DandDJustDoingIt
Hello, I feel your pain, my husband and myself pay an exhorbitant amount of alimony to his former spouse on a law that was established in 1857. As a second wife, my income is counted towards funds available to pay for her leisure lifestyle...but whining doesn't help me. Join mass alimony reform.. www.massalimonyreform.org

We have made tremendous progress in updating the laws currently having a bill prohibiting lifetime alimony and exhorbitant alimony "just because" working through the state process.

Join us now, you can help us help you.

Name: livejim56
I have asked everyone I know and I have heard fzlorida and Alabama
Name: New Life
JMV ...... I have to agree with madalex. Despicable.
Name: MAK1
What's despicable is the refusal of Massachusetts judges to place time limits on alimony and to review alimony awards periodically. We're not talking about child support here. No one should be forced to pay alimony indefinitely.

Good luck, JMV . I hope you find what you are looking for.
Name: madalex Member
I pay alimony and I don't really like doing it, but moving to another state to get out of your legal obligation to pay alimony is despicable.
Advertise on DivorceMag.com

Advertising for, Lawyers, Family lawyer, Family Law Attorney, Divorce lawyer, Divorce attorney, Accountants

Divorce Magazine's Advisory Board