What constitutes and what proof is required to establish child abuse or neglect?

By Laura Schantz
September 26, 2016

There are different kinds of child abuse. There’s physical abuse, where typically you see a bruise or some other physical proof that a child had been injured. There’s neglect, where the child isn’t being cared for properly, where they’re being not supervised, where there’s not enough food or clothing or they’re not getting to school. Lots of different factors could be neglect. There’s child sexual abuse and there’s also emotional and psychological abuse, and that can take on different characteristics. There are a lot of different ways that Family Services could determine that there’s been some sort of abuse or neglect. The proof of that is based on eyewitness reports, bruises or doctors’ investigations of sexual abuse, and psychologists’ reports. There are all sorts of different types of proof that could lead to Family Services determining that it’s a founded allegation of child abuse or neglect.

Laura Schantz, a Beaverton divorce and family lawyer and mediator has helped clients find creative solutions to complex financial matters involving asset division, spousal support, and child support. To learn more about Laura Schantz and her firm, visit www.oregondivorceattorney.com.

Back To Top

September 26, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.