What can I do to enforce payment of child support?

Wage garnishments and intercepting tax refunds are just two of the ways you can enforce child support payments from your ex.Click to read more.

By John Nichols, Sr.
July 12, 2006

TX FAQs/Financial Issues

There are many enforcement devices available in most states. These include wage garnishments, making a negative report to credit reporting agencies, collecting past-due child support from lottery prizes won by the payor parent, intercepting tax refunds due the payor parent from state and federal income tax authorities, seizure of the non-paying parents property, obtaining a court order directing that the payor parent post cash deposit to secure payment of support, obtaining a court order placing the defaulting parent on probation, and lastly, usually where other methods have all failed, obtaining a court order sentencing the defaulting parent to serve jail time.

John Nichols, Sr. practices family law in Houston. He has been listed as one of the best matrimonial lawyers in the U.S. in several journals and magazines including National Law Journal and Town & Country.

Back To Top

July 12, 2006
Categories:  Child Support|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.