What happens to the kids in the aftermath of domestic violence?

By Bari Zell Weinberger
June 19, 2017
What happens to the kids in the aftermath of domestic violence?

There is a second way protect your safety and the safety of your kids. Depending on the family situation, the TRO can include a temporary visitation or parenting schedule to see the children with designated locations for pick-up and drop-offs. However, you can request a temporary order of sole custody, and even a risk assessment to evaluate the risk of harm, or potential for harm to the children from the alleged abuser.

Depending on the circumstances, the court can prevent all contact between the alleged abuser and a child, or can allow supervised visitation, pending the outcome of the risk assessment or further investigation. Regardless of what the court initially orders, you may also want to file a separate motion, another type of application in family court for custody.

You also don’t have to be married to the other parent or seek a divorce in order to do this. Your attorney can advise you how to best proceed.

Bari Zell Weinberger is the owner and managing partner of Weinberger Law Group in New Jersey. She is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney.

Back To Top

June 19, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.