If one spouse takes money from a gift or inheritance and uses it on the marital home or a family vacation, can they still...

By Chuck Roberts
October 11, 2016

It really depends on what the money was used for. If a certain amount of inherited money was put into renovating the marital residence and that process enhanced the value of the marital residence, then there’s going to be a claim to get some of that money back by the spouse who contributed it. We look at that a couple of different ways. One way to analyze it is, how much did the investment enhance the value of the family home? How much was the actual contribution? Sometimes the actual contribution exceeds the increase in value, so there may be a disagreement as to those two items.

If, on the other hand, the money is used to take a dream vacation, that really hasn’t resulted in an asset that the court has the ability to value or to apportion between the parties. That would be more in the nature of a gift to the marriage, and generally speaking, if someone uses some inherited money to go on a dream vacation, that’s on their own dime and those funds are not going to be the subject of a return of the non-marital estate.

Chuck Roberts is a family lawyer at Momkus McCluskey Roberts, LLC, one of the largest law firms in DuPage County, Illinois.

Back To Top

October 11, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.