What special issues arise when there’s been domestic violence in regards to child support?

By Bari Zell Weinberger
June 21, 2017
What special issues arise when there’s been domestic violence in regards to child support?

Sometimes people think that child support is something that is only part of a divorce. However, like seeking temporary child custody, victims in a domestic violence matter have the ability to request temporary child support as part of the TRO. You can also file a separate motion for child support should you, and the abusive parent separate without a TRO in place.

Child support can even be managed through electronic bank transfers, and no contact with the abusive parent is needed to collect it. Children have the right to be financially supported by both of their parents, even if the parent paying has limited or no contact with the child as a result of the domestic violence.

If the abusive parent refuses to pay support, New Jersey has a number of enforcement options available, including wage garnishment.

Bari Zell Weinberger is the owner and managing partner of Weinberger Law Group in New Jersey. She is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney.

Back To Top

June 21, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.