Am I Entitled To Social Security Benefits Via My Ex-Husband’s Record?

My career was raising our kids. My attorney mentioned I would be entitled to Social Security benefits via my ex-husband’s record. How does this work?

By John J. Gilligan
March 07, 2015

John J. Gilligan, a family lawyer in Long Beach, answers:

I assume that in raising your kids, you were a stay-at-home spouse during the marriage who did not work and who, therefore, did not pay earnings into the Social Security system. If you were married to your ex-husband for more than 10 years, you acquire his derivative Social Security benefits from the earnings he paid into the system during the time you were married and living together. Therefore, when you reach retirement age, you will receive a portion of these payments. You should make an appointment with the Social Security Administration to ascertain whether it is best to start collecting your benefits at 62, 65, or 70.

John Gilligan is a founding partner at the family law firm offices of Brandmeyer Gilligan Dockstader & Davidson, LLP in Long Beach, CA. John has over 30 years of experience handling family law, probate litigation and estate planning matters. He can be reached directly at 562-431-2000 or thru email. View their firm online profile here.

Back To Top

March 07, 2015
Categories:  Financial Issues|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.