How can a service member ensure regular contact with his or her children during deployment?

By Carolyn Grimes
October 05, 2016

Generally, military will not get involved in custody disputes. They're not there to mediate in any way, shape, or form. The JAG officers will try to intercede until it becomes too contested. Contact during deployment is best ensured by the court order, and enforcing your rights through court if the other parent won't let you see the children when you are back. If you are deployed or assigned somewhere where it's safe to have children and your court order doesn’t allow that, you should go to court to get a court order to allow it.

Carolyn Grimes is a family lawyer at the law firm of Wade Grimes Friedman Sutter & Leischner PLLC in Alexandria, Virginia. To learn more about Grimes and her firm, visit

Back To Top

October 05, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.