What should a separated or divorced parent do if Family Services is investigating him or her for failure to protect their child?

By Laura Schantz
November 02, 2016

They should talk to their attorney. They shouldn’t talk to Family Services. At that point, the parent should separate from the partner for the time being immediately. Because, if the parent separates from their partner, their children will not be removed from their home. If that’s the only allegation, this other partner is abusive, but they are a good parent and they separate that person out of their home, then their children will stay there with them. Meanwhile, we can work with their new partner to try to work on whatever issues that person has – whether they need to go to anger management, domestic violence classes, parenting classes, or they have some sort of substance abuse issues. That person can start working on his issues or her issues, but the children will remain in the home with their legal parent – that’s the best solution.

Laura Schantz, a Beaverton divorce and family lawyer and mediator has helped clients find creative solutions to complex financial matters involving asset division, spousal support, and child support. To learn more about Laura Schantz and her firm, visit www.oregondivorceattorney.com.

Back To Top

November 02, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.