If somebody has to seek enforcement of a court order, can they get their spouse to pay their attorney's fees?

By Candace Meyers
June 12, 2017
If somebody has to seek enforcement of a court order, can they get their spouse to pay their attorney

It's not absolute, but there is a provision within our statute that does allow it. If a court finds that someone's violation of a court order is without good cause or justification, then yes, a court will award attorney's fees for the time, attorney fees expended for us seeking enforcement. If it's for discovery, for instance, getting reimbursed for those attorney fees should be automatic because in our statutes, discovery violations are presumed to be without cause or without justification. The court should be awarding fees for misuse of litigation or having someone have to seek enforcement of a court order.

Candace Meyers is a family lawyer at Boyle Feinberg, P.C. in Illinois. To learn more about the firm, visit www.bffamlaw.com. Visit their firm profile here.

Back To Top

June 12, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.