Can someone reduce their child support payments if their child is staying with them for an extended period?

By Abigale M. Stolfe
January 18, 2017

During the period of time when a court has ordered child support, a party may not unilaterally or on their own decision stop or modify their support obligation. They can only do that by a written agreement of the two parties, meaning a document that both parties have signed, preferably in the presence of a notary, or with a court order, meaning that one party went to court and asked for a reduction – whether it’s a long-term reduction or a temporary reduction. And only then with that court order could they reduce their support.

Abigale M. Stolfe is a partner at Stolfe Zeigler, a boutique family law firm that obtains favorable outcomes for high-net-worth, complex, and litigious cases. 

Back To Top

January 18, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.