What if my spouse won’t agree to a divorce?

By Kirk C. Stange
March 17, 2016
spouse won’t agree to a divorce

The simple answer is you can still obtain a divorce. Most divorces can be based on either fault (abandonment, adultery, etc.) or by living separate and apart for a specific length of time and neither requires the cooperation of both spouses. As long as you provide your spouse with sufficient notice of the court hearing and opportunity to attend they do not have to be present to obtain the divorce. If you cannot prove that you furnished your spouse with legal process, the court will not allow you to proceed with putting on evidence related to divorce grounds, custody, spousal support, property division or child support. If you do provide sufficient legal process, the court can decide all of your divorce issues, even in the absence of your spouse. He or she will have forfeited the right to present evidence. Once the judge sorts out all of these issues, the court will enter a final divorce order without the consent, participation or signature of your spouse.

Kirk C. Stange of Stange Law Firm, PC is a family law attorney in St. Louis, Missouri.

Back To Top

March 17, 2016
Categories:  Legal Issues|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.