My ex-spouse exercises visitation with my kids , but I want to move with them to another state. Can I go?

By John Grubb
December 16, 2013
TX FAQs/Child Custody

In the vast majority of states the answer is no, you may not go.

When you refer to the parties children as "my kids" you're implying that your ex-spouse does not have kids. Children have and deserve two parents. Frequently one parent feels that they are the better parent and therefore, they marginalize the other parent's role.

Study after study after study has shown that children who have frequent and continuing contact with both parents do best after divorce. Study after study after study has shown that children that are raised by one spouse do not do very well in the future. Therefore, most states have enacted laws that either limit the ability of the custodial parent to move, or provide that the judge may restrict the geographical residence of the child.

In Texas, frequently the geographical restriction is limited to the county where the parties are getting divorced or an adjacent county if it is close by. In some of the larger cities where transportation can be extremely difficult during rush hour, many of the courts are restricting the geographical residence of the child to a particular quadrant of the city.

Probably the most important thing that you can do to benefit your children after divorce is to remember that your child has a right to two parents and you have a duty as a parent to see that the other parent is actively involved in the day-to-day life of the parties' child.

John K. Grubb practices family law in Houston. He has a BBA, MBA, and a JD Degree. John K. Grubb focuses a significant part of his family law practice on helping couples create premarital and prenuptial agreements in Texas.

Back To Top

December 16, 2013
Categories:  Children and Divorce|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.