If you simply moved in with your new boyfriend rather than marry him, can your ex stop paying spousal or child support?

By Rosalyn Charles
November 16, 2016

At least in the state of New Jersey, cohabitation would play a role in spousal support, but you're going to have to show that their cohabitation involves a melding of you and your non-spouse live-in finances. That's not necessarily a high hurdle to overcome. In many ways yes, the answer would be very similar to a situation where the ex-wife or the ex-husband remarries.

Rosalyn Charles is a family lawyer practicing in Newark, New Jersey.

Back To Top

November 16, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.