How do military spouses know which state they should file in?

By Bari Zell Weinberger
Updated: October 27, 2017
How do military spouses know which state they should file in?

Because military service can involve frequent moves from state to state as well as temporary moves out of the United States, residency requirements for the purpose of filing for divorce are more lenient. Under current rules, a service member or spouse may choose to file a complaint for divorce in one of three places:

  • The state where the spouse resides – for example, New Jersey if the spouse is a legal resident.
  • The state where the service member claims legal residence.
  • The state where the service member is stationed.

If custody-related issues are present in your divorce, be aware that children must generally reside in a state for at least six months before the state court can issue custody and parenting time orders.

Bari Zell Weinberger is the owner and managing partner of Weinberger Divorce & Family Law Group in New Jersey. She is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney.

Back To Top

May 12, 2017
Categories:  Divorce and Annulment

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.