If a service member’s family is currently living on base, will the ex-spouse have to move after the divorce is final?

By Carolyn Grimes
October 21, 2016

Once you are divorced from a military member, you cannot live on base. Generally, you will have been moved off base before the time of the final divorce decree and the children go with whoever has custody of them. If the ex-spouse has custody of the children, he/she and the children will have to move off base. You cannot have that benefit. You can't live in base housing. You can't live in base subsidized housing. It's only for members, so you absolutely have to move.


Carolyn Grimes is a family lawyer at the law firm of Wade Grimes Friedman Sutter & Leischner PLLC in Alexandria, Virginia. To learn more about Grimes and her firm, visit www.oldtownlawyers.com.

Back To Top

October 21, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.