Is an unmarried couple treated the same as a married couple who is divorcing?

By Abigale M. Stolfe
February 13, 2017
Is an unmarried couple treated the same as a married couple who is divorcing?

When you are married, you proceed through a matrimonial docket – often called a divorce docket. When you are not married, you proceed under what’s called an FD docket or a non-dissolution docket; that’s a docket for unmarried parties. In cases where there is a period of cohabitation, and someone is seeking division based upon the length of relationship, the clerk will assign those types of complex cases to the matrimonial docket because they are more typical of a divorce case. But in either docket – whether it’s the non-dissolution FD docket or the divorce SM docket – the statutes remain the same and the courts must consider the same law on each point.

Abigale M. Stolfe is a partner at Stolfe Zeigler, a boutique family law firm that obtains favorable outcomes for high-net-worth, complex, and litigious cases.

Back To Top

February 13, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.