If your spouse interferes with visitation, can you withhold support?

While your spouse has the legal obligation to allow you contact with your children not paying your child support is not an appropriate response. Find out what legal action is.

By T. Paul S. Chawla
May 09, 2006

"If your spouse interferes with your visitation, are you entitled to withhold child support until you receive your court-ordered visitation?"

Although many people may believe this is true, the bitter truth is that if one ex-spouse prevents the other from seeing his/her child, the aggrieved parent must still pay child support. Child support may not be withheld because the spouse interferes with visitation rights.

Illinois family law, as well as that of other states, regards child support as a matter of public policy and therefore distinguishes between the needs of the child to receive financial support from a non-custodial parent and the non-custodial parent-and-child relationship. Child-support payments are viewed as the right of the child, whereas visitation is the right of the parent. It would be unfair to punish the child for the actions of the parents; therefore, withholding support is not permitted without the court's prior approval.

The child-support order is a court-ordered judgment and is enforced like any other judgment, meaning that it can only be modified or terminated by the court. Unilaterally, courts may disregard terminating or reducing a court-ordered child-support payment. Absent an agreement from the custodial parent, courts typically enforce child-support orders through the courts' contempt powers.

In Illinois, non-custodial parents should enforce their visitation rights through the use of the courts and police departments -- not by leveraging child support. Regardless of the actions of the custodial parent as to visitation, the needs of the child do not abate. The proper action and remedy for a spouse's interference with visitation is to document the interference each time it occurs, and then to return to the court to enforce visitation orders.

T. Paul S. Chawla is a divorce lawyer who practices family law in Illinois where he devotes 80% of his practice to litigation.

Back To Top

May 09, 2006
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.