If the moneyed spouse was having an affair and spent large sum, can the legal spouse reclaim any of this money during divorce?

By Sean Sullivan
May 02, 2016

Yes the person can. This is considered what is called dissipation; dissipation occurs when one party uses marital funds for non marital purposes, and in this case, to fund an affair or any gifts that are given to the person he or she is having the affair with.

So, in this sense the spouse who is disproportionately giving away money or used marital funds for non marital purposes would then have to account for the other spouse, or would be entitled to reimburse the other spouse for this amount of money for what we would consider dissipated during that time. But this a very fact specific case and if you suspect that there is dissipation, then you should probably discuss this with your lawyer who again, has experience in dealing with litigation matters and is very comfortable with sending out discovery requests and dealing with litigation to try to find these assets.

Sean Sullivan is a family lawyer practicing in the Elmhurst, Illinois area at the law offices of Laura M Urbik Kern, specializing in child custody and dissolution in divorce. Visit his website, www.laurakern.com, and Divorce Magazine profile.

Back To Top

May 02, 2016

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.