If someone doesn’t agree with the judge's ruling, can they appeal it?

By Erin McGaughey
January 22, 2016

They file a notice of appeal and they start the appellate process. It's a very technical process. I always recommend my clients consult with the appellate counsel. It's also very expensive. Not a lot of people can afford to do it. The rate of successful appeals is somewhere in the range of about 30-33% in the county. Another option is to do a writ if you don’t like the judge's ruling during the pendency of the case. That has even a smaller success rate for the court to take those up and hear them.

Partner at McGaughey & Spirito, California family lawyer Erin McGaughey handles complex divorce cases that involve child custody issues, financial issues, and business interests.

Back To Top

January 22, 2016
Categories:  Legal Issues|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.