I feel I should be reimbursed if I helped pay for my spouses education.

By Alison C. Leslie, Esq.
August 05, 2013
NJ FAQ/Financial Issues

You are not alone. I commonly have clients who complain about this very fact, whether it is the doctor who is now having a relationship with the nurse, or the lawyer who is now having a relationship with his secretary. You have not only supported him or her during their professional schooling, you have also paid for tuition—or perhaps your joint assets went towards paying tuition. You are entitled to reimbursement alimony, which is a simple way of paying for a degree, or for their piece of paper. You may, in fact, be entitled to part of their future earnings based up on the investment you made while they were in school. However, every case is different, and you must discuss your facts with your attorney.

Alison C. Leslie, Esq. practices family law exclusively in her Morristown, NJ offices, where she offers her clients the individualized attention of a solo practitioner with the experience of a larger firm. She can be reached at (973) 631-8002. View her website and Divorce Magazine profile.

Back To Top

August 05, 2013
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.