I don't have much money. Can I make my ex pay for college for our kids or collect half of my ex's social security?

Finances may be tight and you may be looking for ways to get a little money. While collecting from your spouse's social security is certainly a possibility, forcing them to pay for your adult children's education is not.

By Thomas Kendall
September 19, 2011
CA FAQ/Financial Issues

The court cannot force parents to support normal healthy college age adults. That includes tuition. However, parents (or anyone) can enter into a binding agreement (contract) to pay for college expenses. This contract generally must be in writing, and ideally should be secured by some kind of asset.

No you cannot collect your half of their social security, but you may be eligible for derivative benefits after divorce, in marriages of over ten years in length.

Thomas Kendall is a partner in the law firm Kendall & Gkikas, LLP, Since 1994 have successfully fought for joint share parenting plans for fit parents. During and after the divorce process, Kendall and Gkikas, LLP has the in-depth knowledge it takes to help you make these positive adjustments to satisfy the court and for you to remain a major part of your children's life.

Back To Top

September 19, 2011
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.