If one spouse is keeping the marital home but both spouses' names are on the title, how would you protect the other spouse?

By Sean Sullivan
September 07, 2016

The marital settlement agreement it is the art of drafting it. And when one spouse is keeping it and one spouse was getting the equitable interest or the money to share in the house, the spouse who's retaining the actual physical possession is probably more than likely assuming the responsibility for paying the mortgages. So you would then put in language that the person is absolving the other spouse from any further liability of that. And usually the spouse who is getting the property value and getting paid out his or her share of equity in the house but is not retaining possession of the house, usually he or she will sign over the interest to the other spouse so their name can be removed from the mortgage documents to further inflate themselves from any further liability.

Sean Sullivan is a family lawyer practicing in the Elmhurst, Illinois area at the law offices of Laura M Urbik Kern, specializing in child custody and dissolution in divorce. Visit his website, www.laurakern.com, and Divorce Magazine profile.

Back To Top

September 07, 2016
Categories:  Financial Issues|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.