How will I know if I have to pay or if I will receive alimony?

It's important that you know who will come out of the divorce having to pay the other spouse alimony, and whether or not it's you.

By Audrey B. Schneiderman
June 22, 2006
FL FAQ/Alimony/ Spousal Support

It is usual for the spouse with the greater earning capacity, or the spouse who has furnished the lifestyle of the marriage, to provide support for the other. Usually, once the parties separate, the spouse with the greater earning capacity will voluntarily provide either a temporary support amount or will voluntarily "keep up" with the bills.

If not done so voluntarily, the attorney representing the needy spouse will venture into Court, seeking temporary relief. At this point, a Judge will assess the earning capacity and the needs or the parties and will order support.

Prior to any temporary support hearing, very often the parties will go into mediation, and a mediator will try and facilitate settlement of support issues. In Palm Beach County, this process is mandatory.

Audrey B. Schneiderman is a managing member of the Law Office of Feldman & Schneiderman. She has been practicing law for 12 years.


Back To Top

June 22, 2006

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.