How can someone collect past due child support?

By Candace Meyers
May 26, 2017
How can someone collect past due child support?

First, they would make a request for the person to pay. Then the party should be very diligent in making that request for not even just child support, but also orthodontic costs, medical costs, or extracurricular costs. The person seeking reimbursement should be diligent and not let months and months languish. If after making diligent requests the party is unsuccessful, they should hire an attorney to file a petition for enforcement.

Child support does earn 9% of interest per year. If someone is not paying child support for a long period of time, the arrears will accrue 9% interest, which definitely accumulates. The judges are required to respect that as it's in the statute.

Candace Meyers is a family lawyer at Boyle Feinberg, P.C. in Illinois. To learn more about the firm, visit Visit their firm profile here.

Back To Top

May 26, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.