How is child support enforced?

A wage-withholding order can be issued as a way to receive child support payments straight from your ex's earnings, freeing you of having to enforce them in the future.

By Michael Geary
June 26, 2006
TX FAQs/Financial Issues

The decree of divorce must contain clear and specific language on the amount of child support to be paid, who is to pay the support, who the support is payable to, where and how it is to be paid, and when it is to be paid. It is usually preferable that all child support payments be made through your county's child-support office or through a wage-withholding order.

If clear and specific language is not contained in your divorce decree, you will have to file an enforcement action with the court if your former spouse becomes delinquent on child support payments. The court has the authority to issue a wage-withholding order (if one has not already been issued by the court) to deduct child support from the paying parent's earnings. This document has to be served to the paying parent's employer, however, before it can become effective.

Michael Geary is a Board Certified family-law specialist and shareholder with the law firm of Geary, Porter & Donovan in Dallas.


Back To Top

June 26, 2006
Categories:  Child Support|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.