How are retirement plan assets handled during a divorce?

By Rock A. Tate
July 09, 2012

A Qualified Domestic Relations Order, or QDRO, will specify the terms under which you or your former spouse can receive an interest in a qualified retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or pension. To avoid mandatory withholding, make sure the transfer is made directly from one qualified, tax exempt account to another.


Rock A. Tate is a Financial Advisor, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERâ„¢ at The Tate Group at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Back To Top

July 09, 2012
Categories:  Financial Issues|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Copyright © 2014 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.