Can a family law attorney who is representing a party in their divorce case also handle the juvenile dependency case?

By Laura Schantz
October 19, 2016

Absolutely, but it depends on finances. In a juvenile case, it’s similar to a criminal case. You are able to get a court-appointed attorney if you can qualify for it financially. We oftentimes have parents that have their court-appointed attorney and then they’re trying to do their divorce at the same time where their court-appointed attorney does not handle divorce cases. They are typically a public defender, and all they do is juvenile court work. They cannot, under the public defender’s office, represent their client in a divorce case. The client needs to go out and get separate counsel for their divorce case, and you don’t get court-appointed attorneys for your divorce. A lot of people contact a family lawyer because they aren’t comfortable with the public defender and they want the family lawyer to help represent them in Juvenile Court. The attorney can always do their divorce case as well.

Laura Schantz, a Beaverton divorce and family lawyer and mediator has helped clients find creative solutions to complex financial matters involving asset division, spousal support, and child support. To learn more about Laura Schantz and her firm, visit

Back To Top

October 19, 2016
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.