Do I need a family lawyer or can I choose self-representation?

Hiring a divorce lawyer can result in a mountain of legal fees, something to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to represent yourself in your divorce.

By Robert Berman
June 17, 2008
ON FAQs/Divorce Law and Lawyers

The high cost of retaining a lawyer in the family-law process forces many people to mortgage their homes, take out significant loans from banks, and borrow money from friends and family members. For those who don't meet the requirements to obtain Legal Aid, high legal costs make the court process inaccessible. You can self-represent in the family-law court. However, the court process can be complicated, confusing, and frustrating. Individuals who self-represent are responsible for informing themselves about the court's procedures. They are held to the same standard as parties who have legal representation.

That's why you should consider becoming a member of, a website designed and created by an experienced family lawyer to help self-represented individuals dealing with family-law cases in Ontario to navigate through the court system. Check us out by clicking the link below.

Robert Berman is a Toronto divorce lawyer who runs Berman Barristers. He is also the founder of, an innovative new Do It Yourself divorce website.

Back To Top

June 17, 2008
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.