How are divorce papers served when a spouse is deployed or on active duty?

By Bari Zell Weinberger
Updated: October 27, 2017
How are divorce papers served when a spouse is deployed or on active duty?

Each base should have an official who is designated to facilitate the serving of legal papers, typically either the Provost Marshal or another person with responsibility for law enforcement at the base. If the military member is off base or overseas, it may be difficult to serve him or her with divorce papers. It is possible to request service through the military authority, but the military spouse must agree to accept service.

Sending the papers via certified mail may be another possibility, as long as the spouse being served is willing to receive the mail. Your attorney can help you determine the best route.

Bari Zell Weinberger is the owner and managing partner of Weinberger Divorce & Family Law Group in New Jersey. She is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Matrimonial Law Attorney.

Back To Top

May 15, 2017
Categories:  Divorce and Annulment

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.