Can a complaint of abuse or neglect be made against a parent's new live-in boyfriend or girlfriend?

By Allison Williams
December 30, 2015

Allegations of child abuse or neglect can be made against any person who has access to a child. Whenever someone is concerned that the paramour of their former spouse could be harming their child or placing that child at substantial risk of harm, those allegations are to be considered like any other. They should be referred to the agency if the concerns are significant. When a person seeks a restraint, however, against the paramour of their former spouse, if the Court orders that restraint, then the parent seeking custody is going to have the same duty to allay all of those concerns to their paramour as they would be required to do if they were the person accused of child abuse. That often prevents the relationship between the now divorced party and their significant other from taking the normal course.

Allison Williams is a Union, New Jersey family lawyer who is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a matrimonial law attorney. To learn more about Allison, visit her firm's online profile or thru her website

Back To Top

December 30, 2015
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.