Can my former spouse file for bankruptcy to avoid paying child support?

Can your spouse file bankruptcy to avoid paying child support? Your spouse's debts will be relieved, but not their obligations to pay child support or alimony. Click to read more.

By John Nichols, Sr.
July 12, 2006
TX FAQs/Debt, Credit, Bankruptcy

No. The federal bankruptcy code exempts child support and alimony. Even if a former spouse files for, and receives relief from all debts, the child support obligation will not be relieved.

John Nichols, Sr. practices family law in Houston. He has been listed as one of the best matrimonial lawyers in the U.S. in several journals and magazines including National Law Journal and Town & Country.

Back To Top

July 12, 2006

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.