Can I still collect child support even if my former spouse lives in a ...

Learn what petition you need to file to ensure that your spouse continues making their child support payments from a different state. Click to read.

By John Nichols, Sr.
July 12, 2006
TX FAQs/Child Support

"Can I still collect child support even if my former spouse lives in a different state?"

Yes. All states have passed the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act ("URESA") or a comparable statute. This act provides for interstate collection of child support. This Act sets up the method for enforcement of support orders where the parties live in different states. Essentially, the party seeking enforcement files a petition in his or her home state. That petition is transmitted to the payor parent's home state and he or she is brought into the court of that state and the court enforces support.

John Nichols, Sr. practices family law in Houston. He has been listed as one of the best matrimonial lawyers in the U.S. in several journals and magazines including National Law Journal and Town & Country.

Back To Top

July 12, 2006
Categories:  Child Support|FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.