Can I File For Divorce In California If I Was Married In Texas?

I now live in California, but I was married in Texas. Can I file for divorce in California?

By John J. Gilligan
February 25, 2015

John J. Gilligan, a family lawyer in Long Beach, answers:

If you have lived in the state of California for six continuous months and in any particular county for three continuous months, you may file for divorce in the county where you reside. If you don’t meet these residency requirements, you must first file for legal separation and may then convert it to a divorce once you do meet the residency requirements. It doesn’t matter where you were married.


John Gilligan is a founding partner at the family law firm offices of Brandmeyer Gilligan Dockstader & Davidson, LLP in Long Beach, CA. John has over 30 years of experience handling family law, probate litigation and estate planning matters. He can be reached directly at 562-431-2000 or thru email. View their firm online profile here.

Back To Top

February 25, 2015

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.