Once the amount and duration of child support has been set, can either be changed for any reason?

By Abigale M. Stolfe
January 02, 2017
Once the amount and duration of child support has been set, can either be changed for any reason?

Both custody and support are always an open door. Always remember, anything related to your child can always change. We do have to show a change in circumstance, but that’s not such a difficult burden when we’re talking about a child related expense.

The term of child support can change, for instance, if the child goes from living with mom to living with dad. That would change the payor as well as the amount and term. If the child goes from living at mom’s house to going to a full-time boarding school, that would change the amount of the child support.

Duration doesn’t typically change, because we would pay till at least the child is 18 years old. But then if they went to college, that child support would continue at some level and to some degree past the time that they’ve turned 18, and that will be a whole other series of factors we would consider.

Abigale M. Stolfe is a partner at Stolfe Zeigler, a boutique family law firm that obtains favorable outcomes for high-net-worth, complex, and litigious cases. 

Back To Top

January 02, 2017
Categories:  FAQs

Add A Comment


Allowed HTML: <b>, <i>, <u>, <a>



Divorce Lawyers

Certified Divorce Financial Analyst

Find all CDFAs

Divorce Mediators

Find Divorce Mediators

Business Valuators / CPAs

Find Business Valuators / CPAs

Collaborative Practice

Find Collaborative Practitioners

Reason for your Divorce

Why did your relationship end? If there's more than one reason, choose the strongest factor.

Money Problems/Arguments
Physical/Emotional Infidelity
Physical/Mental Illness
Physical/Emotional Abuse
Alcoholism/Addiction Issues
Basic Incompatibility

Copyright © 2017 Divorce Magazine, Divorce Marketing Group & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written permission is prohibited.