Divorce Professionals | Divorce Articles | Divorce FAQs | Online Forum | Divorce Resources | Advertise

Divorce Polls  |  Blogs  |  Magazine Subscription  |  Free eNewsletter  |  Web Links  |  Contact
Find a Professional
Find a divorce lawyer, mediator, accountant, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, therapist and more...
To advertise with us call our toll free number 866-803-6667 x 124 or Click Here


Click Here
Send Page to Friend
Get Divorce Magazine
Divorce  Quick Poll
Vital information about separation & divorce

This site sponsored by:
Houston Divorce lawyers, Short Carter Morris

FAQs Written By Professionals in Texas

< previous page
SECTIONNote that answers given in this section cannot take the place of independant legal or financial advise. Please read our disclaimer.

"My ex-wife and our two kids have moved in with her boyfriend. Do I still have to pay alimony and child support?"

Let's start with the child support. Yes, even though your ex-wife and children are living with her boyfriend, assuming your children are minors, you must continue to pay child support. Your child-support obligation remains until your children are 18 or they graduate from high school, unless they are otherwise emancipated. "Otherwise emancipated" generally means that the child has married or has moved out of the home and is supporting himself or herself. Since you say your children are living with your ex-wife and her boyfriend, I assume they are not "otherwise emancipated," so you must continue to pay your child support.

The question regarding alimony is slightly more difficult to answer. If the alimony is "contractual alimony," then the answer depends on the terms of the contractual alimony, as set out in your divorce decree.

If the alimony is "statutory alimony," ordered by a judge, you may be able to ask the court to terminate your alimony obligation. The Code provides that, if the person receiving the alimony "cohabits with another person in a permanent place of abode on a continuing, conjugal basis," the court shall terminate the maintenance order after a hearing. So since it sounds as if she has just moved in, you may want to wait a bit to see if she plans to remain there. If so, you may file a Motion to Terminate the Maintenance Order. After notice to you ex-wife and a hearing on your Motion, if the court finds that she is cohabiting with "another person in a permanent place of abode on a continuing, conjugal basis," the court will terminate the maintenance order.

Carol Griffin is an associate attorney with Peltier, Bosker & Griffin, P.C.. She has practiced family law in Houston for 10 years.

Professional Services
Free Download Divorce Magazine
John K. Grubb
V. Wayne Ward
McKinney, Plano, Dallas, Collin, Denton:
Loughmiller Higgins
Add your listing
Certified Divorce Financial Analysts
Tim Satre, CFP®, CDFA™
Find a CDFA
Add your listing
Collaborative Law
Texas Practitioners
Add your listing
Premarital Agreements
Texas Premarital Agreement
Add your listing